Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Curtins Update from Komfo Anokye Hospital

Good news! Curtins is doing excellent. I went to visit him yesterday in Kumasi. I went along with one of the kids from the orphanage and one of the workers. We took the "metro" bus and arrived right at visiting hours. As soon as I walked through the door, Curtins got out of his little bed and yelled Michael and ran to me. That was the first time I had seen him run since last year.

We spoke to the Doctor and he informed us that Curtins hasn't thrown up for two days--since the nutritionist met with him. He seems very strong right now and wouldn't stop talking! He kept asking me questions and telling me he wanted me to get him five eggs. After I went to get him all 5 eggs, he told me, through an interpreter, that he didn't want to stay there anymore. I assumed he meant the hospital so I told him he had to stay to get his tests done. He replied, "America!" That was about the only english word he knew how to speak. I got the point though.

Apparently Curtins won't stop telling everyone that he doesn't want to stay here anymore, but wants to come to America with us when we leave. I told him he had to stay in the hospital until he gets better before he can think about America! I also told him he should start studying english... :)

When we left, Curtins was sure to ask me when everyone would visit him again. I told him we would come back soon. He is supposed to be getting his heart scan right now, but who really knows. Hopefully he gets it done soon.

Until next time,

Michael

1 comment:

Kimberlee said...

Wow! Such great news about Curtis!!! Guess our prayers and your diligence worked! Can't wait to hear how he does once back at the orphanage. By the way, why is he an orphan? Did his mother die from AIDS? Love from home to you all,
Kimberlee, Ted & Adalynne